What is general dentistry? Think of it as a primary care regimen for your mouth to diagnose and treat your overall oral health needs. General dentistry provides a wide range of services, ensuring that patients of all ages can enjoy long-lasting oral health. The American Dental Association recommends seeing your dentist every six months to:
- Ensure that your teeth, gums, and mouth are healthy and free from decay or disease
- Treat decay or disease as soon as possible to minimize damage
- Check for early warning signs of oral cancer
Oral health is about much more than your mouth. Poor oral health can actually contribute to poor overall health.
For example, periodontal disease (gum disease) is very common among adults, and the symptoms are easily missed. Periodontal disease can be diagnosed during a bi-annual checkup, and when caught early, can be treated easily. But if periodontal disease is left to progress and continues developing, it can lead to serious health concerns such as heart disease, stroke, and respiratory illness. Gum disease has even been linked to pregnancy and birth complications, as well as diabetes.
Scheduling regular check-ups with your dentist is the best way to ensure that your smile – and your health – is protected at every turn. General dentistry services at Holcomb & Associates includes:
- Exams – You’ll receive a physical exam to check around your teeth and gums for signs of gingivitis, inflammation, decay, damage, or any related concerns.
- X-rays – We’ll use x-rays to get a clear picture of your jawbone structure, tooth alignment, and bite patterns. This guides provides insight into your unique mouth structure, including deciding whether corrective services (such as braces) may be needed.
- Cleanings – Plaque and tartar can build up along your gum line and between your teeth, weakening enamel and causing gum disease and decay. We’ll use a special tool to remove plaque and tartar from your teeth and apply a sealant to protect your teeth from decay.
- Fillings, Root Canals, & Extractions – These are the most common group of dental procedures, ensuring that cavities, cracks, and decay are addressed and resolved as soon as possible.
Has it been a while since your last exam? Give Holcomb & Associates a call today! We’ll help you keep your smile bright and healthy for years to come.